Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Recipe Box

 

My daughter texted the other day and asked an extremely personal question. Imagine asking such a thing via a text and not a phone call?!! She asked me to send her the recipe for my molasses cookies, the one and only recipe that I have guarded over the years. Now, she’s made them many times, but I never thought that the day would come when she, miles away, would be making and, perhaps, SHARING my secret. This got me thinking about recipes and how they are passed along – a young apprentice learning alongside the experienced elder, the mixture of words and smells and tastes all combining into an indelible experience in the young person’s psyche; year after year, the recipes becoming more complex and the results more tantalizing and satisfying. I love to recall those times I shared with her.  


But now a text! In the middle of my work day – “Can you send me the molasses cookie recipe?” No greeting, no punctuation! Can you imagine? How could she be so casual about something so sacred? She knew I never shared that recipe with anyone, not that I would withhold it from her, but let’s show a little respect here people. Once I regrouped from the thoughts that were swirling around in my head, I came to my senses. How happy I was that she was on a quest for this precious thing that we had shared since she could barely see over the countertop. How pleased I was that she recognized that this recipe contained something far greater than a handful of ingredients. She wasn’t asking for that. She was requesting the sentiment of the recipe so she could share it now with her new inner circle. You see, the main ingredient in this recipe is love. She knew love was in every step – lining up all the ingredients, love in every careful measurement, love in every stroke of the wooden spoon, love in sneaking a taste of what was to come.



The sharing of a treasured recipe is Christmas itself. God has put together the ingredients and instructions for us to live a life of peace and light, even in a dark world. We can literally “taste and see the goodness of the Lord”! Through his word, God teaches us how to live in such a way that our lives will be such that people can see, smell and taste the love that comes from us.  Remember as you gather in your kitchens this year, that God has the perfect recipe for every aspect of your life. So pull up a stool, get close to him like a young apprentice and take notice of how he works. Here are just a few of his best recipes:



For peace:

Ps. 34:4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.


Is. 41:10  

So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.


Proverbs 1:33  

but whoever listens to me will live in safety
and be at ease, without fear of harm.”


Mt. 6:33

But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.


For forgiveness:

Isaiah 43:25  
“I, even I, am he who blots out
your transgressions, for my own sake,
and remembers your sins no more.


Isaiah 44:22

I have swept away your offenses like a cloud,
your sins like the morning mist.
Return to me,
for I have redeemed you.”


Mt 6:14-15  
For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.


For healing:

Luke 8:48  Then he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace.”


When in doubt: Ps. 119:89

Your word, Lord, is eternal;
it stands firm in the heavens.
Your faithfulness continues through all generations;
you established the earth, and it endures.


Fear of death:  Ps. 23:4  

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.


For hope: Ps. 103 2-5 

Praise the Lord, my soul,
and forget not all his benefits—
who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit
and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.


When you need to know God loves you:

John 3:16


For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him


1 John 3:1

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!                          

There are thousands more recipes in God’s good book. All there to help us understand how put the ingredient of his love into our lives. Life can become a delicacy for each of us. There may be a few burnt edges; we may forget a key ingredient here and there. But let’s keep trying and by all means, let’s be sure to pass the recipes along!

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment